Friday 26 October 2012

Spaceships are Shiny. (Or: Why Twilight isn’t crap.)



Once upon a time, I was working on some compositing for a module at university.  Part of the scene I was putting together involved a spaceship lasering another spaceship.  As placeholders for this, I quickly modelled a couple of basic ships and textured them up to look a bit battered; a few rust marks, some blast scars.  That kind of thing.
While I was part way through the work, my tutor came over to see what I’d got so far.  She wasn’t so interested in the way I’d put the scene together.  Her feedback was:  “Spaceships are shiny.  Make the ships shiny.” 
I was a little puzzled as to why she thought that spaceships had to be shiny.  After all, real life spaceships aren’t shiny.  Many of the favourites from TV and movies aren’t shiny.  In the end, I did make them shiny for her since she was the one that was going to be marking it.

Personal preference can colour a lot when it comes to art, literature, music.  Which leads me onto the second part: Twilight isn’t crap.  Before everyone protests that it really is, take a moment to think about it.  That book sold millions of copies.  Subjectively, those people didn’t think it was crap.  They enjoyed it, and went on to buy the sequels.

Maybe, at the end of the day, some people just like their vampires shiny. 

…I mean spaceships.

No comments:

Post a Comment