Friday 19 October 2012

A bit of autumnal inspiration.

First drafts are horrible.  This is something to be accepted.  It doesn't matter if you are the best writer in the world.  You'll read it back and go: "Arg, what was I thinking?"  
But this is okay.  It's the rough sketch before you add colour; you can't expect it to be a masterpiece on the first attempt.  Details don't matter too much, you just give the impression at this stage, and add them in later.
I read somewhere that many authors will do five to fifteen drafts before they are happy with their work.  I'm hoping I don't have to do fifteen, but if that's what it needs, that's what it needs.  For now, I'll just write whatever comes into my head.

Speaking of which, autumn colours are the subject of many books, poems and songs.  A couple of weeks ago I took a walk to appreciate them myself.  I don't have a poem about them right now, but feel free to leave one in the comments if you feel inspired! 





This one sums up the British Isles nicely. :)

 All photographs copyright © Sarah Cosgrove 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment